School Zone Safety Tips
Tips on School Zone Safety
For Drivers, Students and Bicyclists
School has been back in session for a couple weeks now; make sure to take the right steps for being safe. The summer is over and it is time to lose the bad habits that may have developed over that time. Below are some School Zone Safety tips provided by the Chattanooga Police Department.
- Slow down and follow the speed limit in your zone.
- Allow yourself more time to get your destination and leave earlier than normal.
- Stay alert and put down the phones! No texting while driving. Keep your eyes open for kids walking and biking across the roads.
- Look out for patrol officers and obey their signs and signals.
- Learn the rules of the School and follow them (i.e. Drop Off and Pick Up of your children).
- Always stop for school buses.
- Yield to pedestrians and never block the crosswalk. Pedestrians have the right-of-way.
- Do not double park your car to let your child out.
- Always look out for bicyclists; especially when opening your car door.
- Always buckle up when riding in a car.
- Learn the practice and rules for getting on and off of the bus, if riding the bus to and from school.
- If walking to school, learn and practice the rules for pedestrians.
- Always wear a helmet and follow the traffic safety rules.
- Have the same rights and rules are motor vehicles do, make sure to follow them.
- Always ride on the right hand side, as well as ride in a straight line.
- NEVER wear earbuds or a headset while riding your bike.
- Look before turning, even if you have the right-of-way.
- Watch out for parked cars.
- Always lock up your bike.